In this variation on tapioca pudding recipes, I use all coconut milk and do not bother with soaking the tapioca first. Neither do I use a double boiler—not a fan of double boilers.
Coconut Tapioca Pudding
If you really must soak your tapioca pearls, do so in the coconut milk for about 30 mins. But why?
- 2 cans coconut milk, whole fat, shaken well before opening
- 1/2 cup small pearl tapioca
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine the coconut milk and tapioca in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Stir often over a low simmer for 15 minutes, until the tapioca is translucent and tender. If you soaked the tapioca first, it may cook a little more quickly.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow. Mix about half the hot tapioca mixture into the egg/sugar mixture. Pour the tempered eggs and sugar into the pan and stir to combine with the rest of the tapioca mixture. Cook and stir over a low simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla and beaten egg whites. You really have to do this quickly because the pudding mixture is hot and will cook your egg whites.
- Pour into serving dishes. Eat right away or refrigerate to eat later.