Lots of substitutions can be made to make this recipe your own. Oven-roasted plum tomatoes from last summer’s garden were the highlight in my sauce. They keep well in the freezer and, when thawed, are still moist and lightly coated with olive oil. I ate one, of course, and it still had that fresh tomato taste, concentrated from the roasting.
This sauce is thicker and has a more concentrated tomato flavor than the Quick, Light Pizza Sauce I made a year ago.
Quick Blender Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup oven roasted or sun-dried plum tomatoes ( I used 15 tomato halves)
- 5-6 cloves or about 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 -4 canned peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup juice from tomato can—enough to bring to consistency of a thick sauce
Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth, adding more tomato juice as needed.
I used the sauce on this pizza: Pizza Day One and Day Two—following the directions for the dough, but using red sauce instead of white. Since I wrote those posts, I acquired cast iron skillets (12″ and 8″) and have been happily making my pizzas in them.