No it’s not Asian beer, it’s an Asian-oriented marinade that includes beer, a Belgian beer to be more exact. Blue Moon® beer is a wheat beer made with some orange peel, but I’m not really counting on it to provide noticeable citrus in the marinade—would be nice if it did. Unlike last year’s grilled chicken thighs, I marinated these overnight. Here’s the simple marinade:
- 1 12 oz bottle Blue Moon beer (or your favorite)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (for the saltiness)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro paste (convenient to not have to smell the stuff while chopping)
I poured the marinade over the chicken in a large sealable plastic bag, set in a large bowl, and put it in the fridge overnight. Take it out about an hour before grilling to bring it up to room temperature. The grilling itself, over indirect heat, takes about an hour for perfect, juicy chicken every time. It’s like cooking in a self-cleaning oven, only better because you also get the smoky grill flavors.