I bought way too many tiny-finger sized snacks for my granddaughter’s visit last week. I sent the remaining goldfish home with her, but kept the box of Honey Maid® graham cracker Minions, so I had to make a pie crust with them, because I’m not really a sweet cracker snacker. As it happens, I had a vision of a jar of key lime tart filling stuck in my head, so it wasn’t hard to decide what to put in the crust. I boosted the filling with some cream cheese for both flavor and texture. This is a quick no-bake pie if you use a pre-made crust. I’m kind of sorry that the first pie on this blog is not one that shows my pie crust skills, but those will come soon enough.
Key Lime Pie (sort of)
- 1 graham cracker crust
- 1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- I jar or can of Key Lime tart filling—mine was a 23 oz jar from Clearbrook Farms®
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- whipped cream (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°
- Crush the crackers in the food processor, but you could just as easily roll them between sheets of waxed paper with a rolling pin. I had 8 packages of crackers that made about 2 cups of crumbs and I didn’t need it all.
- Mix the rest of the crust ingredients, then press them into a buttered 9 inch pie dish.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until just brown on the edges.
- Cool completely.
- Whisk the softened, room temperature cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the Key Lime filling, whisking until combined.
- Pour into cooled pie crust and chill for at least an hour, maybe two.
I don’t really think of this as a pie that needs whipped cream, but I picked up some Cool Whip Extra Creamy® just because who wouldn’t want whipped cream?